Pasadena Spousal Support Termination
Alimony, or spousal support, is one of the most contested issues in family law. When the economic standing of one spouse differs greatly from the other, a judge may order spousal support to be paid. Spousal support obligations do not last forever and will expire.
Having an experienced family law attorney is crucial to determine how spousal support will affect you today, and for years to come. Attorney Patrick Baghdaserians has litigated and negotiated countless spousal support orders and agreements. He evaluates how the impact of alimony and has the financial savvy to help clients achieve their goals.
At the Baghdaserians Law Group, Inc, Attorney Patrick will protect your rights and represent your best interests.
Whether you need to keep spousal support going or intend to end alimony, our Pasadena spousal support termination attorneys are here for you. Schedule a consultation today by clicking here or calling (626) 460-9525.
Defining Spousal Support Orders in California
Generally, when one spouse is low-earning or unemployed, spousal support is awarded to prevent any undue financial burden. There are varying types of spousal support a court can order, including:
- Temporary spousal support: Temporary spousal support is usually ordered during the divorce process as a means of ensuring the lower-earning spouse can cover living expenses
- Rehabilitative spousal support: The most common spousal support awarded is rehabilitative. This allows the lower-earning spouse to better their financial stature.
- Permanent spousal support: The rarest type of alimony awarded is permanent spousal support. If a spouse ends a long-term marriage and the advanced ages or illness of the lower-earning spouse prevent them from earning an income, permanent alimony may be awarded.
How Will a Judge Determine the Duration of Spousal Support?
A judge may consider a number of factors when deciding whether or not to order spousal support and in what duration. While the income of each spouse is the dominant factor, the court will consider the following:
- How long did the marriage last?
- Was there an ongoing problem of domestic abuse?
- Did the union produce children?
- Did the support-seeking spouse sacrifice earn potential to stay home and raise children?
- Did the alimony-seeking spouse financially support the other spouse during the marriage for school or opportunity?
- Can the support-paying spouse pay alimony without jeopardizing their financial health?
- Does either spouse have outstanding debts? Assets? Separate property?
- What are the ages and health status of both spouses?
The court will consider any other factors they deem important to the case. Alimony is awarded on a case-to-case basis. Judges will evaluate each petition on its own merit.
Can A Spouse End Alimony in Pasadena?
At any point, a spouse can petition the court to end or alter the spousal support order. At the Baghdaserians Law Group, Inc, our spousal support termination attorneys can help.
In some cases, spousal support will end without interference. For example, if the marriage was not “of long duration”, then the provision’s stated period determines how long the payments last unless the court retains jurisdiction in the spousal support order to extend it beyond the period. For a long-duration marriage, the court can lengthen the support term. This of course can be altered by the parties through a written agreement.
When a court makes an order on spousal support or when the parties come to an agreement on said spousal support, the parties must be represented with attorneys who aggressively and assertively ensure their respective party’s intentions are manifested in exceedingly clear terms. What goes down in writing in the agreement or court order will echo years, sometimes decades.
To ensure your spousal support agreement is flexible, ensure the order:
- Is agreeable to both spouses
- It may be changed if income changes by a certain percentage
- It may be changed if one spouse becomes disabled
Contact the Pasadena Spousal Support Termination Attorneys for Experienced Representation
If your life circumstances have drastically changed, you may need to modify or terminate alimony. Our spousal support termination attorneys in Pasadena have the skills, knowledge, and experience to help you attain the outcome you need.
At the Baghdaserians Law Group, Inc, we will fight for your best interests and help you navigate through the complexities of family court. Contact our esteemed legal team today to discuss your unique situation. You can reach us by clicking here or calling (626) 460-9525.