Pasadena Grandparents Rights Attorney

Family law rights may extend beyond the traditional, nuclear family or household. Grandparents have long been a staple in any stable family. They can provide childcare services, advice, support, and much more. In some cases, a grandparent may provide additional financial assistance.

However, when the family dynamic changes, grandparents can be left without acknowledgment or the ability to see their grandchild. In cases of divorce or parental death, grandparents may need to fight for their rights to continue the relationship with their grandchild.

At the Baghdaserians Law Group, Inc, our Pasadena grandparents’ rights attorneys will work tirelessly to help you through this difficult time. We will utilize our abundant resources and skills to ensure you and your grandchild can maintain your bond.

Seek the counsel of our family law attorneys today and schedule a case evaluation by clicking here or calling (626) 460-9525.

Do Grandparents Have Rights Under California Law?

According to the state of California, “a grandparent can ask the court for reasonable visitation with a grandchild.” However, certain conditions must be met, including:

  • That there is a preexisting relationship between the grandchild and the grandparents
  • Visitation with the grandchild will not negatively impact the relationship between parent and child or interfere with the rights of the parents

For example, if the parents are married, a grandparent cannot assert their right to visitation as this would undermine the parents’ rights to make the decision.

A grandparent may petition for visitation with a grandchild in the following circumstances:

  • A parent of the grandchild has passed away.
  • A family law issue is pending and child custody is an issue.
  • The parents of the grandchild are not married to each other.
  • The parents of the grandchild are married but do not live together indefinitely and meet other statutory criteria.
  • A parent’s whereabouts are unknown
  • One of the parents has joined the petition for visitation
  • The child has been adopted

A grandparent may also petition the court for visitation when their grandchild, whose biological parent has passed away, has been adopted by a stepparent or grandparent.

What Can a Grandparent Do to Petition for Visitation?

Courts have held that if a fit parent decides to deny a grandparent visitation, that grandparent must overcome a presumption that that parent’s denying visitation to the grandparent is in the best interest of the grandchild. This can be a steep hurdle to climb since it has been held that a fit parent receives deference in decisions about visitation.

Grandparents can demonstrate their bond to their grandchild by providing the court with:

  • Video footage of the child and grandparent interacting with love and affection
  • Photographs
  • Family testimonials
  • Eyewitness accounts
  • Statements from the grandchild

California courts usually wish to preserve the relationship between grandparent and grandchild. If you believe you have a right to see your grandchild and are being denied visitation, contact the Baghdaserians Law Group, Inc today.

Why Work with a Grandparents Rights Attorney from the Baghdaserians Law Group, Inc?

The Baghdaserians Law Group, Inc is exceptionally talented at litigating complex family law matters. Our family law attorneys have decades of experience representing the rights of Southern California residents.

Our clients come through our doors to be treated as individuals. We believe every family law matter should be handled with dignity and respect for the uniqueness of each circumstance.

The firm principal, Attorney Patrick Baghdaserians, has practiced family law exclusively since 2007. As opposed to other firms, the Baghdaserians Law Group, Inc focuses on providing the best legal service in family law possible.

Attorney Baghdaserians became a certified family law specialist in 2014. A State Bar Certified Specialist recognizes attorneys who have gone beyond the standard licensing requirements. Attorney Baghdaserians has a long track record of success and consistently goes above and beyond for his many clients.

If you are a grandparent seeking rights to your grandchild, let the highly recognized legal team at the Baghdaserians Law Group, Inc represent your interests today.

Contact Our Pasadena Grandparents’ Rights Attorneys

Patrick Baghdaserians has handled several cases relating to the rights of grandparents.

Under the law, grandparents already start their cases at an uphill battle. This is why having an experienced family law attorney who has dealt with these issues specifically, and from other perspectives of family law disputes, is crucial. An experienced family law attorney who has already overcome such uphill battles is essential in overcoming the legal obstacles that are placed before grandparents who simply want to make sure they are a part of their grandchildren’s lives.

Contact our Pasadena grandparents’ rights attorneys today and schedule an initial consultation by clicking here or calling (626) 460-9525.

Client Reviews
SERIOUSLY... YOU WANT PATRICK ON YOUR SIDE. If you decide to not use Patrick for some reason, at least do a consultation with him first. Dan
Hiring Patrick to Represent Me Has Been the Best Decisions I've Made George
California Lawyers Association
Super Lawyers Rising Stars
State Bar of California
Avvo Rating 10.0