Pasadena Domestic Violence Attorney
Divorce is challenging. Matters are more difficult when there is domestic violence involved. It is important to have strong help at your side. Attorney Patrick Baghdaserians is a Pasadena domestic violence lawyer and family law specialist who works in the Los Angeles area.
For over a decade, Attorney Patrick has helped the community’s residents stand up for their rights in the face of violence. If you are considering divorcing an abusive spouse, the compassionate attorneys at the Baghdaserians Law Group, Inc are here to answer questions, discuss your case, and strategize the next steps.
Domestic violence in divorce proceedings must be handled delicately. Our Pasadena domestic violence attorneys understand the precarious nature of marital violence. You deserve discreet, dignified representation. Consult a skilled, experienced divorce lawyer today and schedule your initial case evaluation by clicking here or calling (626) 460-9525.
How Prevalent is Domestic Abuse in Pasadena Divorces?
Combatting marital violence has come a long way. There are more resources to help victims of domestic violence and more opportunities to escape an abusive marriage.
Domestic violence in the United States has increased. As fewer co-habituating couples are marrying, statistical data now tracks intimate partner abuse instead of marital abuse. According to the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence (NCADV):
- More than 10 million adults suffer domestic violence a year
- An intimate partner will abuse nearly 20 people per minute
- 1 in 4 men have experienced intimate partner abuse
- 1 in 3 women have experienced domestic abuse by their intimate partner
- Intimate partner violence accounts for 15% of all violent crime
If you are in an abusive marriage and need help, there are programs that can give you immediate assistance. You can find the resources you need in California by clicking here. They can help you formulate a plan to protect yourself and your children.
If you are in immediate danger, call 911. Next:
- Get you and your children to safety. If your home is not safe, phone a relative or a friend, or you can check the resources above for other options.
- Once you and your children are safe, it is imperative you document all your injuries and any property damage. Take several quality photographs. Write down the events leading up to the violence and write a detailed description of your experience. It can be difficult to relive the experience. However, this evidence is critical. Take pictures of what you wrote and save everything to multiple sources, like a cloud and a new email account.
- Contact us by clicking here and requesting a domestic violence restraining order.
- Schedule a consultation to discuss the next steps to protect yourself.
How Domestic Abuse Effects Divorce Proceedings?
Issues regarding domestic violence arise in divorce proceedings more often than expected. There is often a misconception that domestic violence is limited to physical attacks; however, it is much broader than that. For example, Family Law Code Section 6320 defines “abuse” as intentionally or recklessly causing or attempting to cause bodily injury, sexual assault, placing a person in reasonable apprehension of imminent serious bodily injury to that person or another, and more.
More specifically, Family Code Section 6320(a) includes: “molesting, attacking, striking, stalking, threatening, sexually assaulting, battering … harassing, telephoning, including, but not limited to, making annoying telephone calls, destroying personal property, contacting, either directly or indirectly, by mail or otherwise, coming within a specified distance of, or disturbing the peace of the other party…. ”
What constitutes domestic violence is broad and will impact your divorce proceedings.
How a Domestic Violence Conviction Can Affect Your Divorce?
In a divorce proceeding, if there has been a criminal conviction for domestic violence by one spouse against another within five years prior to filing for the dissolution of marriage, there are multiple issues that arise.
First, the offending spouse will typically suffer the following penalties:
- The spouse convicted of domestic violence may be prohibited from receiving spousal support.
- The injured spouse will not have to pay any attorney’s fees for the convicted spouse out of their separate property.
- A court may determine that the injured spouse is entitled up to a hundred (100) percent of the community property interest of their retirement and pension benefits.
Secondly, the court will consider several factors when assigning the community property interest in the injured spouse’s retirement and pension benefits which include:
- The domestic violence conviction, as well as documented evidence of other instances of domestic violence.
- The duration of the marriage and when, based on documented evidence, incidents of domestic violence occurred.
- The extent to which the convicted spouse’s present or future earning capacity is impaired by periods of unemployment that were incurred during the marriage to permit the convicted spouse to devote time to domestic duties.
- The extent to which the convicted spouse contributed to the attainment of an education, training, a career position, or a license by the injured spouse.
- The balance of the hardships to each party.
- Any other factors the court determines are just and equitable.
If you or someone you love has lived with domestic violence in the marital household, you are not alone. The compassionate domestic violence attorneys of the Baghdaserians Law Group, Inc will help you stand up for your rights, break the connection to your abusive spouse, and help you recover the means to move on with your life.
When you need a lawyer who can be sensitive to the difficulties you have endured and aggressively protect your best interests, call the Baghdaserians Law Group, Inc.
Why Contact a Pasadena Domestic Violence Attorney Today?
Overall, the divorce process can be very overwhelming and stressful. Issues regarding the division of property can make the process much more complicated. When choosing counsel it is important to have someone with experience on your side. Attorney Patrick Baghdaserians is an experienced Pasadena domestic violence lawyer and family law specialist who has dealt with an enormity of domestic violence cases.
With over a decade of experience., Principal Attorney Baghdaserians is your best choice for representation. Schedule your consultation with the Baghdaserians Law Group, Inc today by clicking here or calling (626) 460-9525.